Pennant Race! Collecting and Translating 1974 Calbee Series 1 (Part 10)
Another 1980 Calbee Large update to disrupt your usual post. I’ve been on an unexpected roll recently. This time, with none other than card #1 featuring Sadaharu Oh in his last year as a player. The offering I was able to grab was the first example of this card I have ever even seen for sale in the year plus I have been collecting 1980 Calbee. I’ve added the card to the archive here. As for '74, the Series 1 run is really getting down there at this point. As of this entry I need 4 more cards.
#14 Takada - Outfielder (Giants)
Takada has been slow out the gate because of a foot injury in the preseason, but is still expected to be indispensable when the season starts.
[Baseball Museum] Record for the Longest Game at the Summer High School Baseball Tournament=1933 (19th Tournament) Chukyo Commercial vs. Akashi Central, 25 innings.
So I have just realized that I have been translating something wrong this entire time. It turns out that the Waisei-Eigo (Japanese-made English) expression Oupun-sen (Open Game[s]) does not refer to Opening Day or an opening series as might be reasonably expected, but rather to preseason or spring training games... While ultimately any translation mistake is on me, this goof does highlight my frustration with Wasei-Eigo in general, which I usually find to be a bit silly and (as an English speaker)—confusing. I will do my best to eventually comb through everything I have translated and fix this error.
#44 Ejiri - Outfiielder (Taiyo)
You might not think it, but Eijiri reads intently with a book of poetry in his hand. With a bat in his hand he’s a hit machine.
[Baseball Museum] The 41st game of this season marked the 1,000th of Ejiri’s career (169th all-time). He also hit his 12th home run which was his 100th overall (76th all-time).
#55 Yamauchi - Pitcher (Nankai)
A year after moving to the Hawks, Yamauchi suddenly achieved 20 wins. This season, he will be put to the test to see if he is the real deal.
[Baseball Museum] In baseball, a trade refers to players being exchanged between teams. If any money is included in the deal it is called “trade money.”
“Trade money” is yet another Wasei-Eigo term. “Cash considerations” is usually the actual phrase used.
#57 Kadota - Outfielder (Nankai)
In order to make the final leap to the top echelon of hitters, attacking left-handed pitchers will be key for Kadota.
[Baseball Museum] The “Hit-And-Run” is a kind of offensive strategy. The baserunner starts as soon as the ball is thrown by the pitcher, and the batter hits it. The aim is to catch the defense off guard by distracting them with the runner.
#58 Sakurai - Second Baseman (Nankai)
Sakurai was selected as the Pacific League’s second baseman through his hard work and determination. His tandem at first and second with Parker is second to none. In terms of offense, he hit a solid .282 as well. He’ll be aiming for .300 this year.
Parker refers to Wes Parker, a career LA Dodger who played one season in Japan to finish his career. Parker hit .301/.809 with 14 home runs during his year with the Hawks.



















Comments
Post a Comment